Saturday, December 8, 2001

The 'Project'

In the Spring of 2001, I undertook a self-designed independent-study project through the University of Washington for which I traveled around Washington State researching local history and composing original folksongs based upon my findings. Three weeks in, I was awarded the inaugural Venture Fellowship from the Mary Gates Foundation at UW to aid in my efforts and in releasing a CD of the songs, My Northwest Home.

From the NW Home liner notes:

While I anticipated none of the publicity and folk-fanfare that accompanied
my travels...I did presume that communities around the state would open
their arms and share their stories. Yet I was rewarded with hospitality and
honesty that far exceeded my expectations and that touched me beyond words.
These may be ‘my’ songs on paper, but they owe everything to the generosity
and accessibility of the residents of Washington State.



You can read my proposal for the project:
Woody Guthrie 2001?: Preparing a Musical Neo-History of Washington State


or view samples from my daily journal entries here.


And, of course, I also offer presentations of Project findings/experiences for a variety of ages & settings...


___________

No comments:

Post a Comment