Sunday, September 12, 2010

Leavenworth, WA: Icicle Arts Festival

As I told the audience at the performance where I served as a judge, I'm of two minds regarding songwriting contests: I appreciate and understand their role in the celebration of original music and as a means for some of gaining traction in the industry...but, at the same time, the very idea of comparing and rating songs along one particular continuum is tough to digest. So congrats to *all* Icicle Prize finalists for this accomplishment and for keeping at it: Ben Bonnema; Michael Carlos; Chelsey Craven; Michael Dickes (whose song has been most stuck in my head since); Rachel Lippert; Hannah Loeffelbein; Brian McMahon (2nd Place); Margee Peterson (Audience Choice); Andrew Thompson; Nadine Van Ness; Sandy Vaughn (3rd Place); and Beth Whitney (1st Place)--and student finalists: Marija Bosnar (1st); Chloe Grace Caemmerer (2nd); and Claire Seaman (3rd).

Also charged with sorting out this madness were my other co-judges: Dan Maher; Linda Waterfall; Andre Feriante; Andrew T. Miller; and Aimee Mell. Most of us gave workshops the day previous at the stunning Barn Beach Reserve, and all were treated splendidly by the Icicle Arts folk, who pulled of the whole thing smashingly. Indeed, anyone who wants to put me up on the Sleeping Lady grounds (even feeding me occasionally) is more than welcome to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment